This is the video I am entering into the Primal Recipe Video Contest at Mark’s Daily Apple. As I discussed in my previous primal pizza post, I spent a long time developing this surprisingly simple recipe. I love pizza and was dissatisfied with my pizza options after I made the switch to primal eating. I wanted a good-tasting, firm crust that wasn’t a treat but something I could eat on a regular basis. Here’s what I came up with.
If you dont eat dairy or do not tolerate cheese, my apologies in advance. I have made this pizza crust without the parmesan cheese but it was not as firm as it is otherwise. I welcome you to give it a shot, though, and see what you think. I have also made this recipe using zucchini instead of the eggplant. If you do this, just make sure you salt the shredded zucchini and squeeze out the excess moisture. Also, make sure you end up with a pound of shredded zucchini before you add the other ingredients. If youre not sure how to get the water out of shredded zucchini, take a look at my recipe video from last year.
I hope this recipe is as useful to you as it has been for me. As I mention in the video, half of this crust, which I consider to be one serving, has about 330 calories. Not too shabby! Wishing you many years of delicious primal pizzas!
1 lb shredded fresh eggplant
cup (60 grams shredded parmesan cheese
cup almond flour
1 egg white
oil or butter (to grease the parchment and baking sheet
your favorite primal pizza toppings
1. Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl.
2. Transfer mixture to a baking sheet lined with a large sheet of greased parchment paper.
3. Use your hands to pat and form the dough until it is approximately inch thick and your desired shape. I like to make either one large round pizza or two smaller individual pizzas.
4. Bake crust at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
5. As you hold the parchment, flip the pizza crust over onto the greased or non-stick baking sheet. Discard the parchment and return the crust to the oven for 5 more minutes.
6. Remove the crust from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
7. Top the crust with your favorite toppings and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until toppings are melted and or heated to your taste.
Serves 2. Enjoy!!